Contact Congress today and ask them to ensure funding to safeguard our elections is included in the next stimulus bill.
To date, Congress has passed two large stimulus packages that have been signed by the President and is currently negotiating a third package. The League believes that this third package needs to include funding for provisions to ensure Americans are given the right to vote safely in November. That's why we joined our allies at the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights in sending a letter to Congress, signed by over 150 organizations, calling for at least $2 billion in funding to be allocated toward essential measures including:
- voter education (informing the public of new practices and immediately quashing disinformation as it arises)
- an extended early in-person voting period (allowing citizens to vote over an expanded period rather than in a cluster on Election Day)
- expanded voter registration options (including online voter registration and same-day voter registration)
- no-excuse absentee voting-by-mail (including a number of options through which to request and return ballots)
- prohibition of polling place adjustments that disproportionately impact vulnerable populations such as people of color, limited-English proficient citizens, people with disabilities, and students